One of the most important first steps in establishing an online presence for your business is the domain name registration. Apart from being easy and necessary, a well-chosen domain name registration can assure you of success in many ways possible, more prominently, that having an increased search engine traffic. Some of the essential things to consider in your domain name registration are as follows:
- The extension – will it be a .com, .net, .org, .info or another? Any of these will get spidered and indexed by the search engines, but getting a .com will be more beneficial for you since it is more common and carries an air of legitimacy with it.
- Refrain from having your domain name registration with your web host because it’s potentially a massive headache to move your domain as well. Split them up and you’ll be glad you did!
- A domain name registration that is purchased from a legitimate company ranges somewhere between $1-10, depending on the extension and the amount of time you sign up for.
- Perhaps the most important aspect of your domain name registration is choosing the right keywords. Use the main keyword or phrase you’d like to optimize the whole site for, and see if you can craft a domain name around it. The search engines favor keyword-rich domain names.
- Keep your domain name as short as possible so it would be easier to remember.
- Avoid using your company or business name unless it has your keywords in it.
- Keep your domain name registration topically relevant as sites that display total relevance ranks higher.
- Finally, avoid other company or business’ trademark and copyright in your domain name.
Summing it all up, domain name registration is easy to do but requires careful planning as well since it could make the difference in whether you get found or not!
Your Professional Success Coach